Help about Essay topic A for texas common application? See Q details?
I m writing a college essay topic A for texas common application can someone please tell wwhat topics should I avoid and on what topics shall I pay attention to? Please help
Topic A: Write an essay in which you tell us about someone who has made an impact on your life and explain how and why this person is important to you.
First be careful how you use yahoo questions for this. Many universities run their applicant essays through programs that check online documents to make sure there isn’t plagiarism. So in other words, use you own words if your taking advice from people on the site.
I personally wrote an essay a few years ago for NYU on a similar prompt. I wrote my essay as a satire on the “important lesson from an important person” cliche essay. Most individuals in this prompt write a paper about how their grandma died and the lesson they learned from it. So I wrote something that opened similar to this:
“When I was only five years old my grandmother passed away. Unfortunately, being only five at the time, it did not have a profound impact on me. In 11th grade however when my other grandma passed away, I was sure not to take the opportunity for granted, attending the funeral with the hopes of finding the words to a great college application essay…”
The essay jokingly narrates myself “falling back” on a teacher who I had grown close to and the impact he had on my life.
So what I suggest you do is (a) Do something to stand out, and (b) talk about a person who has really taught you something. DO NOT FAKE IT. Unless you’re an amazing writer they will see right through it.
Some good lessons to have learned are:
– I learned that education is essential, and I plan to be a lifelong learner
– I learned that no matter how smart I am or how much I know, there is always more to learn or experience
– I learned that the only thing that separates me from people who are already successful is that they started first
– I learned (insert something UNIQUE about yourself)
– I learned that the world needs more (insert your intended career this education would help you receive)
Hope this helps!