Help! How to start an essay?
Write an one-page essay on how this person, (Rosa Parks) event(s) affected Harper Lee’s writing of To Kill A Mockingbird.
•My teacher gave me a rubric for a Cause-Effect Essay.
•I have read To Kill A Mockingbird and Rosa Parks: My Story.
In any essay, it’s a good idea to do an outline before you begin to write. Following an outline helps you write in a clear, flowing manner. The main connection between Rosa Parks and To Kill a Mockingbird is the issue of racism. Rosa Parks fought for racial equality, and in the story of To Kill a Mockingbird, you see racism at its worse. So here is what I would suggest:
1. Hook–This is the first sentence which is designed to catch the readers’ attention and all essays should have a hook…for example in this case, “Where is the Justice?”
2. Thesis Statement–This is the sentence that tells what your essay is about and, in this case, can follow the hook. For example, “Both Rosa Parks and Atticus Finch were seeking justice in what they did. Both have a story to tell about how racism distorts values and has left shameful scars on our nation. ”
3. Write a paragraph about Rosa Parks and how she refused to give up her seat on a bus in Alabama. Write how she fought for her human rights and stood up for what she believed in. This took a lot of courage for her to do.
4. Write a paragraph about To Kill A Mockingbird, and tell about how Atticus Finch took a stand against the whole town to defend Tom Robinson. It took courage for him to do what was right, and he felt it right to defend Tom, even though he knew that he would lose the case because of the racist jury.
5. In the next paragraph tie the two people together. Tell how, in both cases, ignorance and prejudice of the majority brought out the courage of a few who took a stand and stood up for what was right. They both took a stand, risking their own well-being, for what was right.
6. Summarize, leading back into your thesis sentence… For example, “If not for the courage of some people who are willing to take a risk, our world and humanity would not progress. It is because of the injustices of the masses that a few has helped bring justice and given a voice to those who had no voice.
That’s just an example ….hope this helps you! 🙂