How do you write a thesis with contradicting views in one sentence?
i have to write an analysis from an article for school. Now the assignment is pull a quote from the article and talk about it in one paragraph. Now the assignment has been extended to a full blown essay. my problem is that i dont completely agree with what the author from the article is saying so how do i write this in a thesis statement in one sentence. Its suppose to be the 3 things that your going to talk about but what if one says one thing, but the other two go against the first one. how do you write this. thanks 🙂
I hope this helps.
Constructing A Thesis Statement:
1.Determine what kind of paper you are writing:
• An analytical paper breaks down an issue or an idea into its component parts, evaluates the issue or idea, and presents this breakdown and evaluation to the audience.
• An expository (explanatory) paper explains something to the audience.
• An argumentative paper makes a claim about a topic and justifies this claim with specific evidence. The claim could be an opinion, a policy proposal, an evaluation, a cause-and-effect statement, or an interpretation. The goal of the argumentative paper is to convince the audience that the claim is true based on the evidence provided.
If you are writing a text which does not fall under these three categories (ex. a narrative), a thesis statement somewhere in the first paragraph could still be helpful to your reader.
2. Your thesis statement should be specific—it should cover only what you will discuss in your paper and should be supported with specific evidence.
3. The thesis statement usually appears at the end of the first paragraph of a paper at which point it is referred to as a thesis sentence.
4. Your topic may change as you write, so you may need to revise your thesis statement to reflect exactly what you have discussed in the paper.
5. Some people find it more effective to create the body of their paper and then tailor the thesis to fit what they have already written.