How to write on genetic engineering essay topics?
Despite increasing popularity of such assignments, students and sometimes even teachers do not know how to write an essay on genetic engineering. Because of this, there is a misunderstanding of the basic principles. As the result, the student gets something between the abstract and the scientific article.
In fact, the essay is a small written work of a creative nature. Its author presents their thoughts on paper.
Consider the main features of this type of work:
- Small volume that traditionally ranges from two to seven pages. This causes such peculiarities of processing and presentation of material as the absence of a strict plan, division into chapters and removal of introduction or conclusion to a separate page.
- The narrow focus. Because of the small amount of work, it is impossible to analyze many aspects of the phenomenon under study. The need to comply with the size limits makes it necessary to concentrate all attention on one central genetic engineering essay thesis which can be supported by secondary statements.
- Presence of own opinion. In fact, everything is built around the views of the author, the subsequent proof of their objectivity.
- Free style. Writing an essay involves the use of journalistic style, rejection of complex language. At the same time, it is better to avoid the use of spoken words, jargon, household names.
- Use of theses and arguments. In contrast to the abstract, the essay is built on the statement of certain theses which should be confirmed with several arguments. The main part has the structure “thesis – arguments – new theses – new arguments”.
- The possibility of using a creative approach in the presentation of own views. You are not limited to any rigid framework, so you can provide arguments in any form: examples, paradoxes, personal experience and description of the observed situations. It is allowed to add quotations, aphorisms, statements that can attract the attention of the reader.
- Internal unity. Despite the absence of strict requirements for the genetic engineering essay outline, all the arguments and theses presented must be connected with the answer to the main question. The hypothesis put forward in the introduction must be proved. If this task was successfully completed, it is worth writing about it in conclusion.
As you can see, the main difference from the abstract is the ring structure. The style of writing, a small amount, emphasizing of own opinion distinguish this type of written work from a standard scientific article.
Outline for a research paper on genetic engineering
These structural parts may be found in any genetic engineering sample essay:
- Main block which consists of ideas and evidence proving them.
First, a hypothesis is put forward. It is presented in the introduction. You should explain why this idea is relevant, based on the results of a previous study, and what additional research has been conducted. You should also mention the results of the previous studies and provide a hypothesis that should be confirmed.
Then the alternation of theses and arguments follows. The hypothesis is again formulated in the introduction and confirmed or refuted in the main part.
The final stage is the analysis of the data obtained and the conclusions drawn, an evaluation of the developed strategies, recommendations, and ideas.
Compiling a thesis statement for a research paper
When the length of the main part is reached, you should formulate a scientific hypothesis providing evidence and arguments. It is a core of the entire work. This stage is repeated several times. If necessary, you can use the work on another genetic engineering essay topic.
The thesis is a certain statement used by the author to logically bring his hypothesis to the proof.
The argument is a substantiation of the author’s words. A well-known fact, a logical conclusion, an experience from the life of the author or his surroundings, opinion of scientists, evidence, etc.
The conclusions summarize all that was written before. The essay is characterized by the absence of a clear allocation of this part. Its features suggest writing the final conclusions immediately after the main text. By volume, the conclusion does not exceed one small paragraph.
Formatting of a ready text
Essays are most often typed in a font Times New Roman, size 14, with intervals 1-1,5. The use of paragraphs is required to get the beautiful, neat text. Tables, graphs, figures are numbered in the order of their appearance in the academic paper.
Footnotes are needed to indicate sources of information used to prove author’s position. If you referred to any scientific works, researches, statistical data, then you must necessarily compile a list of literature.
Read the finished work, correct mistakes
One of the most common omissions is an inadequate final check of the text. Therefore, it is best to rest a little after finishing the text and to read the essay again.