What are good books or online sources about crimes against humanity and how to solve them?
Hi, I am writing a paper on crimes against humanity. So far I am still gathering all my resources so I can form an objective and educated paper.
My paper must include two instances in modern history where crimes against humanity took place and why. I must also talk about the role of the rest of the world on the issue and how they were effective (or not). Why? And of course I must propose a solution to all the above problems.
It’s a pretty fun essay I think, and I look forward to spending many hours creating it. If you could point me to any credible books or online resources that would be fantastic.
So far I have mostly found books about Africa relating to Rwanda and Darfur. I want to avoid decade old crimes against humanity (the holocaust has been belabored to death).
And according to the U.N. crimes against humanity are defined as, “Murder, extermination, enslavement, deportation, and other inhumane acts committed against any civilian population, before or during the war, or persecutions on political, racial or religious grounds in execution of or in connection with any crime within the jurisdiction of the Tribunal, whether or not in violation of the domestic law of the country where perpetrated”.[
Office of Public Information Authorized Site
Current News Releases (Contents at time of posting this, follow):
(^URL is now FIXED^)
08.18.08 ERITREA: Systematic arrests in Eritrea aggressively target minority faith
07.31.08 AUSTRIA: ECHR rules Austria religion law violates human rights
07.28.08 RUSSIA: Arson destroys religious meeting hall in Russia (Russian)
07.16.08 RUSSIA: FSB officers raid Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia (Russian)
07.11.08 RUSSIA: Russian prosecutors attempt to use extremist law against Jehovah’s Witnesses
04.29.08 UZBEKISTAN: Four years in a labor colony for being a Christian
04.25.08 UZBEKISTAN: Uzbekistan prosecutes peaceful believers
03.11.08 UZBEKISTAN: Uzbekistan tolerates disturbing violations by police against citizens and minors
* Imprisonment of conscientious objectors to military service:
Armenia; Nagorno-Karabakh (06.01.08)
* Armenia: Imprisonment of conscientious objectors to military service (05.02.08)
* The History of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Turkey (Turkish version)
* Keeping the Faith in Eritrea—A Country Profile (July 2007)
* Number of imprisoned conscientious objectors in Armenia still climbing (June 1, 2007)
* Record number of conscientious objectors in Armenia (May 1, 2007)
* Eritrea: Twenty-two Jehovah’s Witnesses imprisoned in Eritrea (December 1, 2005)
* Jehovah’s Witnesses and Alternative Service in Armenia (July 2005)
* Effects of Moscow Ban on Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia (PDF)
* Turkmenistan: Four prisoners amnestied, one to be deported?—Forum 18 News Service
* Armenia: New Wave Of Jehovah’s Witness Sentences—Forum 18 News Service
* Uzbekistan: Increasing use of criminal law against Jehovah’s Witnesses—Forum 18 News Service
* Armenia: Not illegal deportation, merely illegal removal—Forum 18 News Service
* Armenia: Wave Of Jehovah’s Witness Sentences—Forum 18 News Service
Religious Persecution — Why? > http://watchtower.org/e/20030301/article_01.htm
United by Love of God > http://watchtower.org/e/20050101/article_02.htm
Armageddon—A Happy Beginning > http://watchtower.org/e/20051201/article_02.htm