What is a topic in Macbeth that I can find 20 critical essays on?
I am writing an annotated bibliography
(1) Shakespeare’s construction of the play as an homage to James I
(2) the various film versions of Macbeth and their differences (some of the greatest filmmakers in the world have tackled this play: Akira Kurosawa, Orson Welles, Roman Polanski, and probably others I’m forgetting)
(3) the impotence of Macbeth vs. the ability to act of Lady Macbeth, esp. her speech on Macbeth’s being “too full of the milk of human kindness” and her desire to “unsex me here” (she DEMANDS of “spirits that tend on mortal thoughts” to do this to her; Macbeth, on the other hand, had the three witches prophesy to him)
(4) building on the last part of (3), is Macbeth evil, or did he get baited into doing what he did by virtue of the witches’ tempting him through prophesy? Is Lady Macbeth to blame for Macbeth’s evil acts and evil being? Where does the responsibility reside? This is one of the most written about aspects of the play, and it’s certainly one of the most interesting….
(5) Act 5, Scene 5, lines 17-28
Just a few. Hope it helps.