Why should illegal immigrants get a free education? Or why shouldn’t they?
I’m doing an argumentative essay and I need reasons.
(I’m very uninformed on the topic.)
Issue: allowing children who come to the US illegally to attend public schools:
* It’s the “right thing to do” – humanitarian.
* Lack of education will end up costing society more in the long run – if a person is uneducated, they are less likely to be gainfully employed, more likely to turn to crime, less likely to be self-sufficient.
* Costs taxpayer money (at least in the short run)
* Diverts limited education resources towards educating what can be a problematic student population – i.e. often behind grade-level, often have poor English language skills.
* Philosophical argument that we should not do anything to help people who are not legally present.
Most of the arguments made for and against are variations of the above.