How can I increase the length of my pants?
You can save a too-short pair of pants with one of these simple fixes below.
- Let Down the Hem of the Pants. Kentaroo Tryman / Getty Images.
- Add a Cuff to the Pants. When you don’t have enough hem to let down, you can lengthen your pants by adding a fabric cuff to the bottom.
- Add More Fabric Mid-Leg.
- Turn Them into Capris.
How can I make my pants longer without sewing?
After they’re done washing, but BEFORE you put them in the dryer, do the following:
- Fold your jeans in half.
- Hold your jeans tightly with one hand at the waistband side and one hand at the end-of-the-leg hemmed side.
- Bring your hands together, then…
- Pull them apart to stretch the pants lengthwise.
Can you use bias tape for hems?
Yes! This is one of the easiest ways immaginable to sew a hem and as a bonus you get a cool decorative element hidden on the inside of your project. (That is, if you use a contrasting bias tape.
How do you lengthen pants with bias tape?
Pin the single fold bias tape around the bottom of the pants. Sew the bias tape onto the pants by sewing a straight line on the lower fold. Fold the bias tape over until it is inside the pants. Roll it up slightly until the bias tape does not show from the outside.
Can you stretch jeans to make them longer?
Spray them with lukewarm water, then pull to stretch. Stand on each leg of the jeans, bend down, and use your hands to manually pull and stretch the jeans while they are wet. Feel free to pull them in any and all directions, reapplying the lukewarm water as needed.
How do you finish a bias binding hem?
Flip the binding to the right side, and with your fingers, press the seam allowance towards the binding. Understitch the seam allowance to the binding. Turn the top inside out and flip the bias binding to the inside of the top. Fold the raw edge of the binding under before pressing and pinning in place.
How do you attach a bias binding to a hem?
Binding the Hem
- Take one end of your bias binding and open it out a bit.
- Starting somewhere that won’t show too much (the side’s a good place), pin one end of the bias binding to the edge that you are binding.
- Ensure that the edges are aligned, then sew the rest of the bias binding to the right side of the skirt.
How do you lengthen a cuff with pants?
This is a great way to get a little more wear out of pants which have become too short.
- Measure the width of the pant leg.
- Decide on the length of the cuff that you want to add.
- Cut 2 pieces of fabric in your required size.
- With wrong sides together, fold each cuff along it’s width, bringing long edges together.
Does warm water stretch jeans?
Put on the jeans that are too snug, fill a bath with warm water, and sit in it. The warm (not hot!) water will help loosen and stretch the threading a bit. You obviously need to do this one in advance, and allow the jeans to hang dry when you’re done.