How do I root my Tibouchina cuttings?
Dip the wounded end of the Tibouchina cutting in 0.1 percent IBA rooting hormone until it is fully coated. Make sure the entire lower 2 inches of the cutting are coated in the hormone. Insert the cuttings into the premade furrows in the seedling flat of coarse sand. Space them 1 inch apart in the furrows.
How do you grow Tibouchina grandiflora?
Water Needs. Glory bush and purple glory tree need medium amounts of water, with a deep soaking once a week during the growing season and more during an extremely hot spell. Keep the soil moist but not dripping wet. Princess flowers tolerate more moisture, but they also thrive with weekly watering and moist-to-wet soil …
How do you collect Tibouchina seeds?
Sprinkle several seeds evenly across the surface of each pot. An easy way to pick up the seeds is by breathing on your finger tip to lightly moisten it, then dabbing the seeds with it. If you have long-fibered sphagnum moss (not ground peat moss), sprinkle a little over the surface.
How do you propagate a glory bush?
- Cut 6- to 10-inch-long shoots of actively growing, nonflowering stems.
- Remove all but the top three to five pairs of leaves.
- Dip each cutting in rooting hormone powder.
- Place the container with cuttings in a propagating case or a mist unit or cover with clear plastic to conserve moisture.
Is Tibouchina fast growing?
This fast growing shrub grows to 2m H. Tibouchina ‘Peace baby’ – White flowers with pink and purple stamens in its centre.
How do you collect seeds?
Directions for Saving Seeds
- Cut flower head with scissors or a knife.
- Collect the ripe seeds from the flower head and place on waxed paper.
- Allow the seeds to dry for about a week.
- Clean the seeds by removing any husks or pods.
- Place seeds in an envelope and seal.
- Sow the seeds in spring.
How do you collect bluebell seeds?
- Collect ripe seed on a dry day, as soon as the seedheads (e.g. capsules or pods) ripen.
- Pick the seedheads, either singly or on stalks, and lay them out to dry on a greenhouse bench, warm windowsill or in an airing cupboard.
- If they don’t open when dry, gently crush pods and capsules to release the seed.
How do you prune Tibouchina grandiflora?
A: Princess flower (Tibouchina urvilleana), a shrub much loved for its large purple flowers, can be pruned back to bare wood, meaning wood that isn’t leafy. Prune to about a third of an inch above a pair of dormant buds. These buds, and perhaps some lower buds, will then grow into new leafy branches.
Is Tibouchina grandifolia a good plant?
Tibouchina grandifolia is by far one of our best sellers. Even without any flowers the plant is a show stopper with its large, velvety round leaves. When the flowers appear, the plant becomes one of the most beautiful shrubs in the world. Tibouchina is not a plant for everyone.
How big does a Tibouchina tree get?
How to Grow Tibouchina Indoors Botanical Name Tibouchina granulosa Common Name Tibouchina, purple glory tree, glory tre Plant Type Evergreen shrub Mature Size 10-20 ft. tall, 6-10 ft. wide Sun Exposure Full sun
What is a Tibouchina?
Tibouchina belongs to a large genus of plants native to the American tropics. They are most frequently found in Brazil. In general, only a few species are found in cultivation, and among them, only one is in wide cultivation. This species is T. urvilleana, which goes by several pseudonyms.
How do you prune a Tibouchina?
In the home, the first rule of thumb is to keep Tibouchina closely trimmed by pinching off new growth shoots and gently shaping the plant to contain its sprawling growth. This will likely slow down its growth and reduce the frequency of repotting.