How do you know if a video is biased?
If you notice the following, the source may be biased:
- Heavily opinionated or one-sided.
- Relies on unsupported or unsubstantiated claims.
- Presents highly selected facts that lean to a certain outcome.
- Pretends to present facts, but offers only opinion.
- Uses extreme or inappropriate language.
What is demographic bias?
Specifically, the automated recognition of individuals based on their biological and behavioral characteristics. Biometric algorithms are considered to be biased if there are signiﬁcant differences in how it operates when interacting with different demographic groups of users.
What is the possible source of bias?
In research, bias occurs when “systematic error [is] introduced into sampling or testing by selecting or encouraging one outcome or answer over others” 7. Bias can occur at any phase of research, including study design or data collection, as well as in the process of data analysis and publication (Figure 1).
How do you make an unbiased decision?
Minimize bias by taking every possible precaution to ensure your decision-making process is fair and equitable to all involved.
- Subdue your initial feelings and do not allow them to steer the decision-making process.
- Examine all aspects of the issue carefully.
Can biases be avoided?
To an extent it is true that bias can be avoided this way, but it is not true that it necessarily overcomes bias that arrises because we are human. The best strategy to avoid bias is by making ourselves aware of it.
What is biometric bias?
Biometric bias is the result of two components — inputting biased data into the system and biased analysis of the data. Algorithms are trained using datasets. When datasets skew towards certain characteristics, the machine learning model then focuses more on that characteristic.