Who is buried in Hither Green Cemetery?
The cemetery was designed by Francis Thorne and included two Gothic chapels – one Anglican, one for dissenters (the Dissenters’ Chapel, built by William Webster, was for people belonging to nonconformist, ie: non-Anglican, churches) – and ornamental entrance gates….Hither Green Cemetery.
|Find a Grave||Hither Green Cemetery|
How long before a grave can be reused in UK?
75 years old
It’s an understandable worry, but cemeteries in London can only reuse graves that are at least 75 years old. In the past, many graves were sold in perpetuity, but the Greater London Councils Act 1974 means this right can be reversed. Now, most graves are sold for between 10 and 100 years.
Are there toilets at Hither Green Crematorium?
What happens to a grave after 100 years UK?
Graves filled at least 100 years ago can be re-used under government plans to ease pressure on cemeteries. Ministers say all designated burial space in England and Wales will be full in 30 years, unless changes are made.
Where is Hither Green Cemetery in London?
Hither Green Cemetery, opened as Lee Cemetery in 1873, is a large cemetery located on Verdant Lane, London, England. The cemetery is situated between Catford, Hither Green, Grove Park and Lee. Next to Hither Green Cemetery is Lewisham Crematorium that was opened in 1956.
Who is buried at Lewisham Cemetery?
Leland Lewis Duncan MVO OBE FSA, Colfeian, historian and photographer (born 24 August 1862) was buried here following his death on 26 December 1923. Marking the 75th anniversary of his death, a headstone was erected on his grave as a tribute to his work in recording the history of Lewisham and surrounding areas.
What is the Hither Green Crematorium?
The site juxtaposes the Victorian Hither Green Cemetery and the 1950s Hither Green Crematorium, which according to Hugh Meller illustrates ‘the richness of the C19th cemetery and the vacuity of its C20th counterpart’.
When did Catford Cemetery change address to Lewisham?
Catford in address line changed to Lewisham 28th May 2010. Opened as Lee Cemetery in 1873 with Lewisham Crematorium added in 1956. Catford in address line changed to Lewisham 28th May 2010. Special characters are not allowed. Please enter at least 2 characters. Death year must be in the past.