The thesis shows everything that the student has learned in a higher educational institution, allows to realize the acquired knowledge and professional training. Incorrect design can cause non-admission to the protection of even a very good job.
The rules for the design of the thesis are determined by the universities, and they must be registered in the training manual. If in your university your own rules of writing a thesis are not published, you can write a dissertation, based on state standards. Here we analyze what the requirements are for the design of a dissertation in 2019.
- Title page.
- List of performers.
- Notation and abbreviations.
- Main part.
- List of sources used.
The first, that is, the title page, is drawn up in the same way as in all written works. The list of performers for the thesis, as a rule, is limited to one student (although sometimes there are collective works) indicated on the title page.
The abstract is a summary of the content of the thesis without detailed interpretation and comments – only basic factual information and conclusions, including the volume of the report, the number of illustrations, tables, applications, the number of parts, the number of sources used.
The content is as follows:
- Sub items
- List of sources used.
In front of each item of content should be an indication of the page.
In the introductory part, it is necessary to briefly and succinctly describe the object and subject of research, describe the goals and objectives, research methods, scientific and practical base. The volume of the introduction is 2-3 pages.
Next are chapters. They can be divided into three parts. In the first one, it is necessary to analyze and assess the problem at the moment, how topical it is, what problems have already been revealed, and which of them require further study. This is followed by the scientific research of the author, what goals he set for himself, what methods he used to achieve them. The last chapter is devoted to the results of the study. In conclusion, you should make a conclusion of your research.
References should consist of no less than forty sources; each of them should not be more than 5 years old, otherwise the information may be irrelevant. At the very end of the work there should be an application, that is, a collection of visual materials: graphs, charts, tables, illustrations. Each application is decorated on a separate sheet, and it must contain a link to the text.
Design of title page and table of contents of the thesis
Considering how to get a dissertation, we must dwell on the title page – it is the commission that sees it first. The requirements for the design of the thesis indicate that the title page should contain the following information:
- The name of the organization on the basis of which the work was done (institute, university, academy), as well as the name of the parent organization (in 2019 for most universities this is the Ministry of Science and Higher Education).
- Vultures approval and approval.
- Type of document (thesis, thesis project, final qualifying work). Type of document indicated in capital letters.
- The title of the thesis.
- Information about the performer (s) and the head (s) of the thesis, indicating academic degrees and academic titles.
- City and year in which the report was prepared.
Registration of the content (or table of contents) of the thesis should begin with the title of this section:
- Table of contents is usually written if parts of the work are logically interconnected (as is most often the case in a thesis work)
- The content is more typical for works consisting of unrelated parts, but in some universities it is required to use this word in the dissertation.
The content (table of contents) includes an introduction, the names of all sections and subsections, as well as items having their own name, conclusion, list of references and appendix names. Each element is followed by an indication of the page number from which it begins. A placeholder can be used between the section name and the page number, making it easier to read by line (dots or lines).
Registration of the text of the thesis
Standards for thesis design regulate the designation of titles in the dissertation and the design of the main text.
Headings of structural elements (such as “INTRODUCTION”, “CONCLUSION”, “LIST OF USED SOURCES”) are printed in capital letters, aligning the center of the line. There is no dot at the end, underscore is not used.
The main part of the work is divided into sections, subsections and paragraphs (if necessary – with subparagraphs). These parts are numbered in Arabic numerals, and the numbers of the nested elements contain the number of a higher level and the sequence number of the nested element.
An example of a dissertation heading: 1 Theoretical aspects of inflation 1.1 History of inflation 1.1.1 Inflation in the XV-XVII centuries 1.1.2 Inflation in the XVIII-XIX centuries 1.2 Approaches to the definition of inflation
Headings should briefly and clearly reflect the information contained in a section or subsection. Items may not have headers. Headings should be typed with a capital letter, without putting a full stop. Headings are printed with indention indentation (they are not aligned to the width, like structural headings).
The main text of the work is prepared in print, printed on white A4 paper (if there are many larger tables and illustrations in the work, use of sheets A3 is allowed) on one side. The font should be black, normal (not bold), with a size of at least 12 pins (1.8 mm) – 14 pins are most often used.
Registration of final qualifying work provides that the sheets remain fields:
- Right – at least 10 mm.
- Top and bottom – at least 20 mm.
- Left – at least 30 mm (it is the largest, because the dissertation is sewn to the left).
Describing how a thesis is made out, there is a certain freedom: you can use different typeface fonts to emphasize attention (the main thing is that their size meets the requirements).
Formulas, illustrations and tables in the thesis
For ease of comparison and clarity in theses used tables. Basic requirements for the design of tables:
- Above the table on the left is placed its name (in one line with a number after a dash).
- The table should be mentioned in the text, and placed immediately after the first mention (if it does not fit, it is permissible to transfer to the next page).
- If the table is placed on two or more pages, the name is written before the first part of it, and on other pages they indicate: “Continuation of the table” and the number.
- The tables are numbered in Arabic numerals within the section or through numbering for the entire dissertation.
- Line headings and a graph start with a capital letter, and subtitles – with a capital letter, if they are independent, or lower case, if they continue the title.
- The font in the table may be less than in the main text.
- Tables are usually limited to lines. Inside the tables, you can delimit the line, but you cannot delimit, if the table is well read without them.
In the illustration, as well as in the table, you need to refer to the text, and place them after the first mention (on the same page or the next). Numbering for illustrations may be end-to-end or within a section. After the picture is placed its name, divided by the number of the dash: “Figure 1 – Graph of temperature changes.”
Formulation in the dissertation subject to the following requirements:
- Formulas stand out from the text on a separate line.
- Above and below the formulas are left on the free line.
- Under the formula you need to put an explanation of the symbols used and the coefficients in the order mentioned in the formula.
- Formulas are numbered end-to-end. The number is indicated in parentheses with right alignment.