Writing a dissertation is an integral element of scientific activity, which is necessary to obtain a degree. Conditionally, this work is divided into two components: the first is informational, which presents the results of our own research in a specific scientific field; the second is presentation, which determines the structure and style of data presentation, i.e., the sequence of sections, the fonts and styles used, as well as the intervals and indents between page elements. Accordingly, for the dissertation to be approved by the Higher Attestation Commission, it is necessary to be guided by state standards that provide for the design of each component of the scientific work.
In order to avoid unforeseen difficulties in preparing the material for publication, it is recommended not to postpone the finalization of the dissertation – the standards regulate a lot of aspects of compiling text and documents, and bringing them into proper form takes a lot of time. If you find yourself in a situation where only a few days are left before the defense of a scientific degree, then the most optimal solution is to contact our authors. We employ experts who thoroughly know the standards for the design of scientific papers, so they will fulfill your order efficiently and in a short time!
The dissertation in its structure may slightly differ from other research projects, but in general it is compiled according to the same standards. In addition to the original work, the scientist is also developing an abstract – an abridged version of the manuscript for wide access. But now we will talk about the full version of the dissertation. Her plan is as follows:
- Title page. Displays basic information about the work and its author. It contains such data:
- name of institution;
- job title;
- title and full name the dissertation, as well as its supervisor;
- name and code of the specialty;
- desired degree;
- year and city of writing up the work.
In addition to the main cover page, one more may be attached if the first is not in the state language. The second must be formalized accordingly, but in the language of the country where the dissertation is defended.
- Table of contents. Contains a detailed list of all components of the scientific work with their page numbers. If the dissertation is multivolume, then each of the volumes is accompanied by a unique table of contents.
- The text part of the work. It is a scientific study and occupies about 150 pages for doctoral dissertations and up to 300 pages for doctoral.
- Links to print media used to write the dissertation.
- Applications Additional graphic materials attached to the scientific work: tables, diagrams, graphs, images. It also includes technical and reference materials. A separate paragraph of the application is a list of abbreviations not provided for by the standard, where they should be decrypted.
Page Design Options
There are typographic requirements for a dissertation: the 2014 standard contains the most relevant provisions for formatting pages and text. Monitoring compliance with all standards is carried out by the certification committee.
What are the basic design rules described in the provisions of the standard?
- The pages of the text document should be in portrait orientation. The sheet size is adjusted in the file settings (Page Layout -> Page Settings) and should be 210×297 mm (A4 format).
- Indents from the edges of the page: top – 2 cm, right – 1 cm, bottom – 2.5 cm, left – 3 cm.
- Font type and size: Times New Roman, 14 points.
- Line spacing – 1.5 units.
- Pagination is carried out in the upper right corner of the sheet. The numbers are put in order, only the title page is skipped (the work will start from page 2).
If there are the slightest discrepancies to standards, not to mention banal typos, scientific work will not be accepted for protection. Therefore, as long as you have the opportunity to check the quality of your dissertation, this should not be neglected. In any case, in case of difficulties, you can always rely on our experts who will be happy to help you.